Life is all about the small joys so when I grazed the fruit and veg aisle of my local greengrocer’s, I was almost beside myself with joy to realize that it’s finally berry season! It was a task walking home and restraining myself from eating them until I was blue in the face (literally!) but I managed to last long enough to create summery blueberry and almond mini bundt cakes with a bundt tin I bought from trusty old Marks & Spencer.
Servings: 12 mini bundt cakes
Prep+cooking time: 1 hr
Ingredients for the cake
150g caster sugar
3 medium free range eggs
150g unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
150g cups all-purpose flour
100g fresh blueberries
3 tbsp ground or flaked almonds
1) Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a muffin/mini bundt tray with a little butter and set aside.
2) In the bowl, beat sugar and eggs for 5 minutes. The volume of mixture will increase by almost half and will be thickened and light in colour.
3) Add butter, almonds and vanilla extract and beat for 2 more minutes. Slowly add flour and beat until just combined. Fold in blueberries.
4) Using a spatula, pour and smooth batter into the bundt tin.
5) Bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
6) Allow to cool completely before serving. It tastes great on its own with tea or served with a plain drizzle of icing sugar and milk.