Pulao is a good way to jazz up a plain rice with relatively little effort. Today's paneer pulao is filling on its own and doesn't need curries and accompaniments (if you're feeling lazy!)
Serves: 5-6 portions
Prep+cooking time: 30 mins
Spice mix for pulao
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic and ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp green cardamom pods
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Whole ingredients for pulao
- 1 cup basmati rice, washed and drained a few times
- 1 cup paneer, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup green bell peppers, cut into cubes
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green chilli, thinly sliced
- small handful of coriander, chopped roughly
1) In a large non stick pan, boil the basmati rice with a few drops of olive oil. Occasionally run a fork through the rice to keep grains light and fluffy. You only need enough water to cover the rice with 1 cm overflowing. It is easier to add more water than it is to reverse a soggy mess! Cooking this amount shouldn't take more than 15 minutes on a medium flame.
2) In a deep pan, lightly fry the pulao spice mix in olive oil before adding paneer and vegetables. Stir and cook covered for 5 minutes.
3) Add the cooked rice to the paneer and vegetables, stirring to make sure every grain is coated. Reduce the flame and allow to cook for another 10 minutes with the lid on, stirring the pulao occasionally.
4) Remove the pulao from the heat and serve while warm.