The festive season is here! This year's Christmas series will focus on the humble side dishes and how to give them a spruce. I thought, since most people will bring out a traditional turkey, it's probably a safe bet to switch up small plates and desserts. Hasselback potatoes are crisp, pretty and these versions are rather spicy too! Just what you need on a wintry afternoon and one that's perfect for a Christmas dinner as much as it is any other time of year.
Prep+cooking time: 1 hr
Servings: as many as you like! Just double/half the ingredients as necessary
Ingredients for Hasselback potatoes
- 7-8 medium potatoes, washed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- pink of salt, pepper and paprika (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
1) Preheat oven to 200C. Wash potatoes and carefully make vertical slits, 3-4 mm apart down each potato.
2) Warm the butter in a microwave for a few seconds to soften. Mix with olive oil, salt, pepper and spices.
3) Coat the potatoes well, making sure the slices are also covered so that they have a nice turmeric tint when roasted.
4) Place on an oven tray and roast for 45 minutes or until they are gold and crispy around the edges.
Ingredients for chilli and mint chutney
- 2 tsp mint leaves (readymade mint sauce is fine too)
- 2 tbsp natural yogurt
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- pinch of salt and paprika
- drizzle of lemon