The beauty of date nights in (whether it's with your beau or by yourself- I am not here to judge!) is you get to eat food you know you'll enjoy in the comfort of your own home. Don't get me wrong, I love a good fancy restaurant and five inch heels, but nothing quite captures the essence of affection as a home cooked meal. I may be waiting until my dying day for someone to return the favour, but I really do enjoy the anticipation of a cake rising or a perfectly roasted leg of lamb. Come to think of it, date nights in could save you a lot of time in the long run. It is a real make or break situation: is their game face good enough to fake amazement at the stodgy pudding and rock solid potatoes? What is love if it's not feeding into somebody's misguided delusions?!
Today's French-inspired strawberry galette is a great date night in dessert as it's quick, easy to make and doesn't take many ingredients.
Prep+cooking time: 35 mins
Servings: up to 5-6 slices
- 1 roll of pre-made piecrust pastry, defrosted at room temperature
- 400g strawberries, washed, hulled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 egg to create eggwash
1) Preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6. In a mixing bowl, sprinkle strawberries with sugar and lemon and set aside for 10 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, flour a clean surface and roll out the pie crust into a rough circle. Precision isn't necessary for this dessert as it's meant to look rustic! Place your rolled out dough on a parchment-lined baking tray and leave to one side.
3) Carefully spoon the strawberries onto the centre of the dough, leaving 2-3 inches to fold over the sides of the strawberries.
4) Brush any visible dough with egg wash and sprinkle some sugar on top to form a glaze once baked.
5) Bake for 20-25 minutes until the pastry turns golden and serve immediately on it's own or with fresh clotted cream. I topped the galette with some flaked almonds to add some crunch!