French toast has revolutionised my life forever. I grew up on the inferior "eggy bread". Argue with me all you like but it is no competition for the heavenly morsels of crispy and fluffy bites of brioche goodness in a proper French toast. Today's recipe consists of sweetened stuffed cream cheese and fresh blueberries sandwiched between slices of brioche. Lazy Saturday mornings never looked better.
Serving: 2 portions
Prep+cooking time: 15 mins
- 4 thick slices of brioche, preferably a little stale (if not, lightly toasted will do)
- handful fresh blueberries, or any berry of your choice
- 3 tbsp softened cream cheese
- 1 tsp icing sugar for cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, whipped
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp milk
- 1 tsp icing sugar for the egg mix
- 1 tsp butter for frying
1) Cut the brioche loaf into equal slices. If it is not stale, toasting it in a dry pan for 30 seconds on each side will give it enough strength to hold the egg mix.
2) In a bowl, mix the softened cream cheese with the icing sugar and blueberries.
3) In a deep plate or tray, whip eggs lightly with vanilla extract, remaining icing sugar, nutmeg and milk.
4) Sandwich a spoonful or two of the cream cheese between the slices and then coat both sides of the sandwich in the egg mix.
5) Melt a teaspoon of butter in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Fry each side for just over a minute until the egg mixture has solidified into a slightly crispy seal. Be careful not to burn the brioche as it is a very light pastry!