It's been a while since I've had a rice and curry. Time management is not my finest skill, so rather than sitting down to have a proper meal, I've been ransacking the kitchen cupboards for quick snacks. I've missed catching up with my family over dinner. Today I made a quick side for a hearty desi feast: masala potatoes. It's easy enough. Potatoes, onions, fresh green chillies and a horde of spices. It's not the most fancy, nor does it have an interesting story. Just plain and simple good food made for the table.
Servings: 4-5 portions
Prep+cooking time: 20 mins
- 3-4 large potatoes, peeled, boiled and chopped into cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minces
- 1 medium sized onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Small handful of fresh coriander
- Wedge of lemon
1) In a large frying pan, heat the oil and soften the garlic and onions with the tomato puree and a healthy pinch of salt. Simmer on a medium-high heat for about 5 minutes.
2) Add the boiled potato cubes and remaining spices. Allow to fry for another 5-10 minutes.
3) Sprinkle a squeeze of lemon with fresh chopped coriander and serve hot.