To go with my masala bhutta I prepared an easy grilled tamarind chicken. I pan fried the chicken until almost cooked and then transferred to the grill to get succulent but smoky pieces of meat- if anybody knows how to get juicy barbecue chicken on just the grill, let me know!
Servings: 5-6 portions
Prep+cooking time: 30 mins
- 4-5 organic chicken breasts, cleaned and scored
- 2 heaped tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp paprika or red chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
1) Clean and score the chicken and leave aside. Prepare the marinade by stirring the spices and onions with olive oil. Pour in the tamarind paste before tossing in the chicken, making sure each piece is well coated.
2) On a flaming hot, dry pan, sear each side of the chicken for 2-3 minutes with the lid on until they are mostly cooked. Transfer to a barbecue or oven grill and continue to cook for 10-15 minutes until you get charred lines running through the chicken. Serve immediately with spicy corn on the cob.