Salad does not get enough recognition at a dinner table, probably because it's considered a silent partner to the big feast. I don't think this way. If you're hosting a lavish spread, it's important to consider the details and a great salad is always telling of how much thought has gone into the night. The one I usually turn to is a classic Mediterranean salad with creamy crumbs of feta and roasted red peppers.
Ingredients for the salad
- Ready prepared bistro salad (a mix of lettuce, dried beetroot and chard)
- A handful of cherry tomatoes, quartered with the seeds and juice removed
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 a cucumber, thinly sliced
- A few tablespoons of feta cheese, crushed into light crumbs
- 2 whole roasted red peppers (watch this YouTube video to guide you, or just buy a jar from a large supermarket)
- Thin slices of lemon
Ingredients for the lemon and black pepper dressing
- 4 generous tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- less than 1tbsp ground black pepper
- Pinch of brown sugar
1) Wash, drain and toss your salad vegetables.
2) Create your dressing in a separate bowl and add just before you serve the salad, to avoid soggy leave.
3) Sprinkle your feta crumbs on top and decorate with lemon twists
Note: believe it or not, a salad is a balance of textures and flavours. It is better to start off with a little dressing than drench it and overpower the ingredients. A little goes a long way!